Friday, November 2, 2012

The End!

Oct 25, 2012 by Andi Curenton
On October 14th 2012 I did the Unthinkable!!! I Completed my first official Half Marathon! It was by far the hardest and most amazing thing I have ever done in my life! It is something that I will treasure always. I had my sister by my side and my girls who are my new sisterhood. I met some amazing people and had such a great time. I only had 1 mile when I didn't have a smile on my face. My feet carried me well and my spirit was high. I NEVER EVER had a desire to do anything like this before and now I can't image not doing it again. Yes people you read that right! I think I may have a little marathoner in my blood now lol. I did this for so many reasons, to challenge myself to do something that scares me, to be part of something bigger than myself, to belong somewhere (with being sick as a youngster school was hard on me and I ended up homeschooling, so being an Alumni isn't something I am part of until now) and of course I did this to help heal something deep in my soul. I never realized how much not dealing with being sick damaged me. I learned to be a quitter, I was sad, I felt like I would never be ok again. It's easier to be silly and joke about things then be serious about them. But on this journey I learned a lot about me. I learned about other Honoree's and heard so much of my story in theirs, and little by little I became unbroken. I learned to talk about my illness even though I never learned much about it. My journey was more about the aftermath. And that was more damaging then the disease itself. For the first time in a very long time I belong, I had people pulling for me when I knew I didn't have one more ounce of strength left but with their love and strength I was able to go on. I have a new extended family and I did something incredable with them! And you know what else happened...I learned to love Me again! I became proud of myself! Something the queen of self bashing never ever thought would be possible. I did 13.1 miles and I did it well! I didn't do it for a personal record or personal best, I did it for the experience and I didn't want to miss anything. I did it my way! I figured it was going to be my personal best and a personal record no matter what because it's my first, so that was a no brainer, but I was afraid I would get wrapped up in times that I would miss the end of my journey. So my goal was to have an amazing time and Rock it! I took tons of pictures and I met new people and chatted with them. I cried with my girls, and I laughed at myself. I cheered on my teammates, and I learned what the Bite Me Zone is LOL and others around me learned not to be around me at that point lol...or to laugh at the things coming out of my mouth! I learned when my brain said not one more step my coaches were in the right spot and a big hug and a few simple I'm so proud of you's give you a total energy refill and those last 2 miles are closer than you think. I learned without the generosity of everyone that made a donation, I wouldn't have been able to complete this amazing journey, and I wouldn't be writing this. So as this journey closes and this Chapter ends, I've learned that I've got more in me! And there will be New chapters and that this book has just begun! Thank you all for reading all of my ramblings and updates, and for the support and love I've recieved. It really did keep me going strong!!! From the top of my Heart to the Bottom of my "sole" I love and Thank you!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andi, just wanted to let you know that I am so proud of you and that I do check in from time to time to see what you are up too. I also wanted to let you know that I have a blog award for you over on my blog. You look awesome my friend and so happy that you challenged yourself with this marathon!! Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just checking in and found out you have achieved your goal - well done! Onward and upward!

    ReplyDelete